We’ve reached the holiday season and while many will temporarily remove their home from the market until the New Year, with the below tips you’ll see how strategically tis’ a great season to list!
Homeowners sell their homes for a variety of reasons. Perhaps they’d like to move into a bigger home, an upgraded home, want a change in neighborhood, experiencing a life event, need to move closer or further from family, changing their lifestyle, and etc. Whatever the reasoning, traditionally homeowners pause their real estate activity during winter months. However, during the winter/holiday months, there’s less competition and more serious buyers, creating a great time to list.
Award-winning real estate agent, Nick Abbadessa, shares five tips to help sell your home quickly and for your greatest return during the holiday months:
1) Decorate your home tastefully for the holidays – A roaring fireplace, lit candles, and proper staging during open houses, virtual tours, and on photos can create the warm and cozy ambiance buyers seek. Just be careful not to overdo or personalize it too much. Buyers must be able to imagine themselves living in the property.
2) Notch up your online marketing efforts – Study after study shows that 90% of all home buyers use the Internet to search for their next home. Since those serious about purchasing a home will continue to research properties during the holiday months, make sure your home is listed online and includes 6+ quality pictures. List it on the MLS, social media sites, and such sites available to house hunters as Realtor.com, Zillow, Trulia, Homes.com, Redfin, Etc…
3) Price it strategically and negotiate skillfully – Fewer homes listed during the holiday months means less competition and the opportunity to potentially sell it quicker and for more. Knowing this, you have the ball in your court to price it competitively with the few other homes listed during winter.
4) Hold an open house with a twist – Traditionally open houses entail placing signs throughout the neighborhood and directing people to your home as well as indicating online the open house times. However, during holiday months you can make it a community effort to publicize your showing while also giving back by hosting a food / gift drive. Let your neighbors, friends, family, and locals know that in addition to showing your home, you’re attempting to collect food/gifts for the less fortunate and are asking that they share the event.
5) Provide financing information – Historically, interest rates are lower during this time thus costing less to finance a home and buyers able to close before end of the year could be eligible for tax credits (i.e. deductions for mortgage interests, real estate taxes, and PMI premiums). Marketing these benefits can motivate a buyer to take action sooner, thus selling your home quicker.
Selling your home during the holidays can be a win-win situation, for both buyers and sellers. You don’t have to nor should you wait until spring to list along with everyone else. Think outside of the box and take advantage of the strategic benefits for listing during the holiday season.
With over eleven years of full-time real estate sales experience and top-selling awards year after year, Nick Abbadessa is a certified Luxury Home Marketing Specialist, holding the Realtor.com Online Marketing Award of Excellence and ranked #1 at RE/MAX Masters & #17 nationwide over all RE/MAX agents.