Fall is the perfect season to cozy up and emerge in that “feel good vibe.” One of the greatest ways to go about this, besides adding additional blankets, throw pillows, scented candles, and the occasional pumpkin or two is…Surround yourself with reminders of what you’re passionate about – your loved ones, hobbies, and interests!
Although this isn’t recommended when you’re listing your home, as one of your goals should be to create an inviting space where your target buyers can imagine themselves living in – doing so any other time of the year helps create a more meaningful home.
In fact, it has been found that if you display your talents, skills, hobbies, passions, and a touch of personalization to your décor, you’ll feel more inspired. This doesn’t have to be too excessive or expensive either, as you can primarily be using items you already own. So what can you display? Consider these 6 tips:
1) Display items that inspire action, in particularly, in those rooms that you need a little boost of motivation. For example, are your struggling with writer’s block, diminished productivity, or stagnant ideas? If so, display a book, one of your favorite quote, or your diploma to encourage and remind you that you can overcome the challenges you may be experiencing. Do you enjoy cooking but not feeling like a master chef lately? Display some of your inspiring cooking gadgets, recipes, or menu plan. Do you enjoy a particular sport or exercise, but find yourself making more excuses than partaking in them? If so, display old medals or photos of yourself participating.
2) Display the tools of your art, activities, and hobbies in accessible proximity. In other words, don’t hide your paintbrushes, surfboard, snowboard, make-up, or guitar – rather, show them off with pride.
3) Leverage your talents and incorporate them into your home’s practical application. For example, are you into creating planners? Arts and crafts? If so, then you can create stylish calendars, checklists, and decorative meal plans to display. Are you into woodworking? Then you can create monogrammed cutting board, wooden wall art, or even furniture. Are you into embroidery? Create cushion covers and hand towels. The ideas are endless.
4) Organize an elegant, uncluttered collection, where each piece tells a story.
5) If you need a little motivation to practice your passion, let your decor help inspire action. Match each inspiring item with the place you’re most likely to need a boost.
6) Personalize the accessories through out your home by adding elements that spark reminiscence. For example, rather than storing photos in boxes, display them (i.e. via a digital frame, on a gallery wall, decoupaged onto coasters, or bundled into a vase of flowers). Do you have a history of living in different parts of the city, the state, the world? Create a shadow box with each key of a past home and their corresponding address written underneath. Do you enjoy traveling? Share your stories via décor by displaying maps of places you’ve visited, postcards, and/or small souvenirs. As you look at the memories, before you know it, you’ll be planning your next trip.
There you have it. Now, do you have to do everything? Of course not. The goal is to create an inviting, cozy space, aligned with your passions – not clutter. Start with a clean slate and then allow your imagination to take over – uncovering how to incorporate passion with décor.
As always, if you need any help listing or buying a home, please don’t hesitate to reach out.
Want to view available listings?SEARCH THE FULL MLS HERE.